Kuih Talam Ubi {Cassava Cake}


At last the holiday is here after a full seven month work and  only few days  left  to fly to Gibraltar for a short holiday.Although, I'm not ready yet for the holiday either my mood because I'm  still recovering from the car accident.

I could endure others but not really ready to take the knee pains anymore.It's more than a week but the pain is still persist and killing me actually.The medicine which I taking wasn't really helping  me either. Even though, I'm gripped myself and move around to do my daily basis.


Meanwhile, we went to Merdeka Carnival 2011 which held in England couple of  weeks ago.It's held every year for all in conjunction with the Malaysian Independence day. We really had a fun day out and indulged the typical Malaysian food especially kuih muih. Those kuih muih was so good in taste and the price is so reasonable too.

I'm very rarely making kuih-muih but since the carnival, hubby is often requesting some snack specially Malaysian kuih muih for afternoon tea. So, what else straightaway made this kuih talam ubi.


Steamed Cassava cake or Tapioca cake is best called in English for Talam Ubi. A nostalgic and traditional Malaysian snack made with grated cassava, coconut milk, gula melaka{brown sugar}, rice and plain flour.The kuih's are best eaten through out the day.

The recipe is adapted from my fellow blogger Kak Mat Gebu. Terima Kasih Kak Mat for the delicious talam ubi. I simply translated her recipe for easy reference and the recipe is below.



KUIH TALAM UBI
by: Kak Mat Gebu
Ingredients:
For Bottom Layer:
600grams Grated cassava
160ml Coconut milk
200grams Sugar
50grams Gula melaka {palm sugar}
A tint of  brown food coloring (optional)
1 Pandan leaf


For Top Layer :
600ml Coconut milk
40grams Plain flour
70grams Rice flour
Salt {A pinch}


 Method: 
For Bottom Layer:
Combine the coconut milk, sugar, gula melaka {palm sugar} and pandan leaf. Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Strain and keep aside to cool. Line a 8 inches x 8 inches x 3 inches cake tin with a cling film and grease some oil all over the plastic. Get the steamer ready. Combine the sugar and coconut mixture with grated cassava, stir well and pour into the prepared tin, cover the surface with foil and steam for 20 minutes over medium heat.
  
For Top Layer:
Mix all the ingredients except the salt, stir well and add salt to taste {not much,a good pinch would do}. Strain the mixture. Then cook and stir continuously over low heat until the mixture turn to lukewarm. Carefully pour the mixture over cassava and cover the surface with foil. Steam with medium heat for 25 minutes. Let the Kuih cool completely before slice them.

♥♥ Kavis

Comments

Aarthi said…
This looks delicious....I bet it taste that good...Yummy..Thanks for the recipe dear...
Unknown said…
Looks so inviting...yummy clicks
Sushma said…
first time here and great recipes. The dish i hvnt tried or tasted it..looks great

do visit my space when time permits