♥..Or Kuih (Yam Cake)..♥

If u ask what's my favourite kuih I undoubtedly say yam kuih is my fav...Ooh..Its all time my favourite kuih which never get bored at all.Yam kuih (“or kuih” in Hokkien, where “or” = yam, “kuih” = snack or cake). It is a popular snack amongst the Malaysian and Singaporean communities, and is basically a steamed kuih made from yam pieces, dried prawns and rice flour. It is then topped with deep fried shallots, spring onions, chillis and dried prawns, and usually served with a chilli dipping sauce.

I grew up eating kuih-muih,and its real easy to get kuih yam all over Malaysia and Singapore and I still remembered,I bought  yam kuih everyday from the stalk where near by my house before went to work.hehehe..The fever on kuih-muih never end at all.I felt so hard when i came to United Kingdom.I never find a restaurant here that serves decent yam kuih, which is really disappointing.
I bookmarked this recipe long time ago but there is always a confusion on choosing yam over here.At last I thought to try this yam kuih with the yam I bought from a grocery shop.Its so delicious,drooling which never let me off from it..I controlled myself away from it... just kept a small piece for hubby.

Kuih (Yam Cake) by: Su-Yin Koay's Bread et Butter
For the kuih:
1½ bowls ~ yam, diced into 1-2cm cubes
1bowls ~ rice flour
2tablespoons ~ wheat starch*(I used corn starch)
2 bowls ~ water
½ – ¾ bowl ~ dried shrimps (I used ½ bowl)
5 shallots ~ finely chopped
1 teaspoon ~ five spice powder
½ teaspoon ~ salt
½ teaspoon~ white pepper
2 clove ~ garlic finely chopped
For the topping:
spring onions ~ sliced finely
red chillies ~ sliced finely
dried shrimps ~ chopped finely and fried
skinless peanut ~ fried and chopped coarsely  
fried onion
Method:


1. Heat a pan over medium high heat, and fry the onions and dried shrimps until they become aromatic. This should take about 3-5 minutes.

2. Add the cubed yam to the pan, and fry it with the onion and dried shrimp mixture until it browns.


3. In a separate bowl, mix the rice flour, wheat starch and water, and stir until it forms a smooth paste. Take care to ensure there are no lumps in the mixture.


4. Add the flour mixture into the pan slowly, and stir until everything forms a thick paste.


5. Add the salt, pepper and five spice powder, and mix well.


6. Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl/plate and steam over high heat for 45 minutes, or until cooked.


7. To serve, sprinkle with deep fried shallots, chopped spring onions, sliced chillies chopped fried dried shrimp and fried chopped peanut. Some chilli sauce on the side is also highly recommended.
*Note:
*The wheat starch helps to make the or kuih softer in texture. If you can’t find this, you can substitute it with an equal quantity of corn starch.
*The best part of her recipe is that it uses rice bowls as a measure. How brilliant is that? The ratio that’s used is 2 bowls water: 1 bowl flour: 1½ bowls yam. Of course, this means nothing is perfectly accurate in terms of weight, but some degree of variation actually doesn’t alter the final product too much. It also does not matter what size your bowl is, as long as it’s a Chinese style rice bowl (i.e. not a wide and shallow cereal bowl, for instance). Just follow the 2:1:1½ ratio and you’re sorted.




Comments